- Looks Can Be Deceiving - 10 Things Every American Should Consider Before Travelling to Panama
- Columbia: Smoke in Building NextGen Precision Health Institute
- Revize Client City of Wentzville, MO Takes Home Silver Circle Award at 3CMA Conference
CONTACT: Douglas Jones, City Auditor, (816) 513-3300
The City Auditor's Office released an audit evaluating whether the city is receiving all rent payments due for leased properties managed by the General Services Department and whether the city has a below-market rate lease policy. General Services manages 41 of 50 city property leases. In fiscal year 2020, the city received about $1 million in rent.
Auditors concluded General Services is not actively managing leases. The city is owed nearly $443,000 in unpaid rents between 2016 and 2020. The city also missed out on about $164,500 in rent revenue because rent rates were not increased as outlined in leases. Additionally, seven lessees with expired leases occupied the properties between 6 to 56 months without a contract; all seven ultimately renewed their leases.
The audit also found the city has still not developed a policy to ensure the public benefit of below-market rate leases. In our 2015 audit, Leasing City-Owned Property, we recommended General Services develop a below-market lease policy to evaluate and report on these types of leases. In 2019, the City Council passed Resolution 190858 directing the city manager to develop this type of policy. A below-market lease policy can help ensure the city consistently and transparently evaluates organizations' qualifications and whether they provide enough public benefit to justify the rent subsidy.
More on Missouriar
- The New Real Estate "Just Looking" Program Is A Big Hit With Palm Beach Area Residents!
- Springfield: Grant to allow Fire Department to begin recycling used smoke alarms
- Columbia: Lane restrictions on East Stewart Drive Scheduled for Sept. 22 - Oct. 1
- New gallery exhibits including FROM FALLUJAH featuring four contemporary photographers work from Fallujah
- Springfield: East Grand Street closed between Devonshire Drive and Paula Avenue through Wednesday, Sept. 22
To improve the city's lease management program, we recommended the director of general services invoice lessees for unpaid rent, increase rent amounts as specified in leases, develop a process to identify leases nearing the end of the lease term, and develop documented leasing procedures. We also recommended the city manager develop for City Council consideration a policy for evaluating and reporting on below-market rent leases.
View the Full Report or Highlights online on our Recent Reports page. The audit is scheduled to be presented at the Council Business Session at 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 22, 2021.
Did you know you can submit audit ideas to the city auditor?
Latest on Missouriar
- Join Our 25th Year Celebration and Prayer for Peace Today
- Kansas: Local Conservators Help Neighbors Protect Public Art
- The New Real Estate "Just Looking" Program Is A Big Hit With Chattanooga Tn and Northwest Ga Area Residents!
- One Park Financial, a Fund Street Technologies Brand, Wins Bronze Stevie® Award 3 Years in a Row
- Columbia: Sewer Utility schedules Interested Parties Meeting to discuss pump station maintenance
- Lee Enterprises Consulting Announces New Experts From Around the World
- Columbia Mayor Brian Treece to hold community briefing Friday, Sept. 17
- New Real Estate "Just Looking" Program Is a Big Hit With Emerald Coast Home Buyers
- The New Real Estate "Just Looking: Program Is A Big Hit With Orange Beach/Gulf Shores Area Residents!
- The New Real Estate "Just Looking" Program Is A Big Hit With Central Virginia Area Residents!
- 2021 Mensa Select® Winners Announced
- Mayor Tishaura O. Jones Names Sheena Hamilton New St. Louis City Counselor
- Concessionaire for Kansas City International Airport New Terminal recommended to City Council
- The New Real Estate "Just Looking" Program Is A Big Hit With Triangle Area Residents!
- Springfield: Register Today for 2021 Virtual Stop the Violence Conference
- Christine Chirco Joins Srote & Co Architects
- Easy Blog SEO Content Optimization for Non-Techie Writers
- Swoop Airline will offer flights to Canada from St. Pete airport | Swoop Airline
- Eight Bit Studios Names Heather Brown as First CEO
- Center for Policing Equity and St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Release Findings from National Justice Database Study