On Saturday, Oct. 29 at 5:30 a.m. the Columbia Fire Department was called to respond to the 1000 block of Eastwood Circle after receiving numerous reports of fire coming from a residence in the area.

The first crew arrived four minutes later and encountered heavy fire conditions throughout a one-story residence. The crew reported extreme heat conditions along with flames through the roof, extending to trees surrounding the residence. They began an aggressive exterior fire attack with a preconnected hose line in an effort to control the flames, prevent the fire from spreading to nearby homes and allow other crews to begin searching the residence.

As additional personnel and equipment arrived, a water supply was established from a nearby fire hydrant and additional preconnected hose lines were deployed to control the fire from the interior. Other fire crews initiated search and rescue operations on the front side of the residence and began ventilation operations to clear the residence of smoke and ensure the fire had been contained.

More on Missouriar
During firefighting operations, crews determined the occupants of the residence were not home.  There were no injuries reported.

The fire was brought under control in approximately 45 minutes with fire crews remaining on the scene most of the day to ensure there were no areas of hidden fire remaining.

Columbia fire marshals were called to perform an origin and cause investigation. The fire was determined to have originated in the attached garage with the cause being accidental. Damage is estimated at $120,000.

Fourteen crews from the Columbia Fire Department and one Boone Hospital Center advanced life support EMS asset responded to this incident.

The Columbia Fire Department reminds residents that smoke alarms save lives. Smoke alarms should be placed on every level of your home and outside of places where people sleep. Check your smoke alarms monthly by pressing the test button. Change your smoke alarm batteries at least twice per year when adjusting your clocks for Daylight Saving Time. Replace any smoke alarm over ten (10) years old.

Filed Under: Government, City

Show All News | Report Violation


Latest on Missouriar